In the past when it came to SEO, I was always left feeling really overwhelmed. It’s a topic that I’m still trying to learn about as I go, but over the years I’ve been able to figure out what really works to improve my blog’s SEO and overall traffic. The surprising part? SEO isn’t actually that tricky, it just seems difficult because how-to’s and guides are usually so complexly worded. In an effort to help other bloggers, I thought I’d share my best SEO tips in simplified terms so they’re easier to understand and implement.
Simplified SEO Tips For Increased Blog Traffic
- Always give your photos a relevant name when saving them instead of some random number (blog-SEO-tips.jpg instead of IMG1903.jpg)
- Write titles that have a few keywords relevant to the post instead of just naming your posts something random
- Once you have your photos uploaded into your post, be sure to edit the Alt Text section for each one and add a small description of the photo and/or post – not only will this help your photos show up better in Google searches, but whatever you write in the Alt Text section is what will automatically fill in when someone pins your image
- The first sentence or two of your blog post is what search engines will grab for that post’s Meta Description (the little snippet that shows up in search results), so make sure you include the main point/keywords of your post within those first few lines so you’ll show up better in searches
- Make sure your blog posts are at least 300 words long
- To really help boost your SEO, choose a keyword that’s relevant to that day’s post and make sure it’s in your title, URL slug, and within the first few sentences of the post
- If you’re using WordPress for your blog, I highly suggest downloading the Yoast SEO plugin – I use the free version and it takes all of the headache out of making sure my SEO is correct for each post
Do you have any tips for improving SEO?