Every year, without fail, I struggle with a bit of seasonal affective disorder. It tends to start up once winter arrives and sticks around until March or April. This year, I’ve noticed quite a lot of other people are struggling with the seasonal blues as well. It seems we all had so much fun during the holidays that now there is a lull ever since January arrived. To try to help everyone, I thought I’d share some of my favorite self care activities that always help pull me out of a funk and infuse my life with some much needed energy.
Self Care Activities To Get You Out Of The Seasonal Blues
- Get up early to enjoy more daylight (I used to be a night owl and stay up until 2 or 3 in the morning, but that sleep schedule definitely did not work for me)
- Journal whenever you’re feeling anxious or depressed
- Buy yourself fresh flowers to decorate your home with
- Spend some quiet time meditating, praying, and/or studying the Bible
- Allow yourself to indulge in a nap when you really need it
- Watch something hilarious (I’ve been loving Vine compilation videos on Youtube lately, as well as binge-watching episodes of Bob’s Burgers on Netflix)
- Have a good heart-to-heart with a loved one or close friend
- Clean/organize anything and everything
- Remember what you’re truly grateful for by keeping a gratitude journal
- Make your before-bed routine a true treat, full of pampering and relaxing
- If you have a pet like a dog or cat, spend some time giving them snuggles and playing with them
- Decorate your home and office with things that bring you joy – photos of family members and friends, your favorite artwork, motivational quotes, pictures of your pets, etc.
- Indulge in something luxurious each day, whether it’s something fancy like a massage at a spa or just something simple like enjoying a good book before bed
- Learn to let go of perfectionism and be okay with just doing your best, even if it isn’t what you consider “perfect”
- Exercise – even if it’s something light like some housework or a leisurely walk around your neighborhood
- Take a long, luxurious bath using your best products
- Start practicing a hobby that makes you happy (planning is one of my favorites – decorating my planner every Sunday for the coming week is so therapeutic and relaxing)
Are you struggling with the seasonal blues this year?