A few weeks ago, I did a major detox of my makeup stash. I had been accumulating a bunch of products that were either impulse buys and super old, and they were hiding the newer makeup that I was really loving so it was time to get rid of the excess. My makeup collection looks so much nicer and it’s way easier to find everything I need (plus, all of my high-end products are now getting used instead of being buried under so-so items). I can’t believe I hadn’t done this sooner! Since this was such a helpful process for me, I thought I’d share my tips on how to effectively clean out your makeup collection and get everything organized for easy use.
- Get all of your makeup together in one place before starting
- Create piles to help you determine what’s staying and what’s going – New/Favorites/Regularly Used, Undecided, Donate
- Go through and throw away all of the expired and old products first to make it easier to see what you have to work with
- Pick up each item individually and really think about which pile it needs to go in – don’t just start throwing things into piles
- For items that you are undecided on: Keep them stored in a bin or box for a 4-6 months, and whatever you don’t pull out of the box during that time is probably something you’ll never use so it’s a good idea to donate or throw it away
- If you have products that are in perfectly good shape but you’re not using them because the color is wrong or you have too many of one item (like blushes or lipsticks), consider putting them in the Donate pile to give to friends or family
- Make sure to be completely honest with yourself during this process – if you haven’t used something in a few months, you’re probably not going to (unless it’s a seasonal or holiday product)
- Pick a space to keep all of your makeup stored so that it’s easy to locate anything when you need it, like a vanity, dresser, or bookshelf (I keep all of mine at my desk)
- Use containers/baskets/boxes/etc. to store your makeup – I like using the clear acrylic cases from Muji (I also use a similar tray to organize my nail polishes)
- Organize your makeup by product type so you can find specific items quickly – I store base products in one drawer, blushes in another, lipsticks in another, etc.
- Store new products and duplicates that you’ve yet to open in a separate bin so that they don’t get buried and forgotten about
- Use things like vases/cups/jars/etc. to keep your makeup brushes together in one place
- Keep the products you use the most pulled to the front so you can access them easily
I think I’m going to repeat this process once every 6 months or so, just to stay on top of my stash. That way it won’t get too out of hand and I’ll always know which products are newer, which ones need to be used up before they expire, and which products I already have so I don’t accidentally buy duplicates.
How do you detox + organize your collection?