I’ve talked a little bit about blog comments in the past, but I thought it would be helpful to write up a full post on the topic. While I don’t think there’s only one correct way to write leave comment, I do think there are some things you shouldn’t do, as well as things that can help you make new connections and gain more traffic back to your blog.
BLOG COMMENTS: THE DO’S
- DO leave encouraging, thoughtful, or constructive comments that further the conversation
- DO chat it up with other people in the comments section
- DO respond to questions and give any answers you may have to questions the blogger or other commenters have asked
- DO leave a link to your blog, most recent blog post, or a post you’ve written that goes along with the one you’re commenting on (check first to make sure the blogger is okay with links being left in the comment section – it will most likely be stated above the comment section or somewhere on their FAQ page)
BLOG COMMENTS: THE DON’TS
- DON’T leave quick, one word comments just for the sake of commenting
- DON’T leave comments complaining about the blogger or how they write their posts – if you don’t like their blog, why are you even reading it?
- DON’T write a short, non-engaging comment just to include 5 links back to your blog and social media accounts
- DON’T leave a comment just to ask the blogger or their readers to check out your blog – if you’re a new bloggers, it’s okay to do it once or twice, but making every comment a plea to get people to visit your blog is going to come across as desperate and rude
Long story short: thoughtful, engaging comments are the way to go. I always encourage bloggers (especially new ones) to regularly leave comments on other blogs in their niche. It’s a great way to meet new bloggers, make new friends, and get traffic back to your blog.
Do you have any do’s or don’ts for blog comments?
Looking For More Blog Tips & Tricks?
Check out my latest ebook for all of my best blogging tips to build a thriving blog with a loyal readership – how-to’s, guides, blog post ideas, and more!