When talking blog photography, my biggest tip is to always use natural light. But what’s the best way to utilize natural light for your blog photos? Today I thought I’d share my tips on how to take advantage of natural sunlight to get the best possible photos for your posts.
TIPS FOR SHOOTING IN NATURAL LIGHT
- Get as close as possible to your light source (window/open door/etc.)
- If you’re shooting outside, find some shade
- Set your white balance to “auto”
- Set your ISO around 200-400 for photos that are less grainy
- Hold as steady as possible to get clearer photos (I like to hold my breath so I’m as still as possible)
- When shooting outside (for outfit posts or profile shots), wait until magic hour to get the most flattering light
- Turn off all other lights in the room you’re shooting in so that they don’t interfere with the color of your photos
- Try to take your photos on bright, sunny days – cloudy, overcast weather will cause your photos to turn out with a blue tint and not be as well lit
- You can use white poster board as an inexpensive light reflector to help get brighter images
- Do not, and I repeat, do not use the flash on your camera
- Always edit your photos – you don’t have to go crazy, but even just a little bit of brightness and temperature adjustment will help perfect your photos
Do you have any tips for shooting in natural light?