Blogging burnout is inevitable. In my 4+ years of authoring different blogs, I’ve yet to discover a way to avoid it completely. With that in mind, there are ways that you can keep it from crippling your blog’s progress for more than a week or two.
When I’m struck with a case of blogging burnout, there are a few things I like to do to help me kick the blahs and get back to work:
- Unplug for a few hours, or if possible, a whole day
- Find a new source of inspiration
- Create something new, either for yourself or for your blog
- Get a pep talk from a close friend (it helps if that friend is also a blogger, that way they have a better idea of what you’re going through and can give you good advice)
- Take an hour to gather ideas and plan out future posts (this is a big one for me, and usually gets me super excited to start creating content again)
- Organize something that you use for your blog, like folders on your computer, blog photos, your inbox, social media, your editorial calendar, etc.
- Do something nice for a fellow blogger – send them a sweet email or compliment them on their blog
- Reassess the focus of your blog and if it still inspires + challenges you – if not, maybe it’s time for a change of topic or voice
- Try re-arranging your layout a bit (or go all in and create an entirely new design)
How do you deal with blogging burnout?