Small Changes For Minimal Living
My main goal for this year (and every year after) is to simplify my life and live a more minimal lifestyle. It's something I've wanted to do for awhile, but busy schedules and not really knowing how or where to start caused me to put it off for a couple years (plus, I was struggling with a bit of a shopping addiction, but that's a topic for another post). After watching the Minimalism documentary, I knew it was time to focus on "less", and I've been working for the past few weeks to make conscious lifestyle changes to become more of a minimalist. What I've been finding that work best for me is to make small, manageable changes rather than "going big!" and changing everything all at once. Since it's the beginning of the year and everyone is in a "self improvement" mindset, I thought it might be helpful to share the things I'm currently doing to minimalize different areas of my life.
- Establish a strict spending budget
- Only purchase things that are absolutely essential
- Regularly educate myself on minimalism and how to fully embrace this lifestyle
- Get rid of something I no longer use whenever I purchase something new
- Declutter all belongings (wardrobe, makeup stash, towel closet, refrigerator, etc.)
- Take photos of things I no longer need but feel emotionally attached to so I'll always have a picture to remember them by
- Donate, give away, and sell!
- Focus on the things that are truly important, instead of always chasing the high that something new brings
- Unsubscribe from all of the useless junk emails and sales notifications
- Make a conscious effort to stick to the basics
- Be intentional with what I allow to soak into my mind (what I'm watching/reading every day, how much time I spend on social media, etc.)
- Downsize the amount of stuff I own
- Find a place for every possession - if I can't find a place to store it, I probably don't need it
- "Love people, use things. The opposite never works."
Are you a fan of minimalism? What changes have you made to embrace this lifestyle?